This last Wednesday, the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific conducted hearings on “The Shocking Truth about North Korean Tyranny” chaired by Representative Ed Royce (R-CA). For those that really want to commit a chunk of their Saturday, the full two-hour video is available. However, the link above also contains more easily digestible clips from Mr. Royce, witnesses Greg Scarlatoiu (testimony transcript here), Bruce Klingner (testimony here), and Grace Minhee Jo (testimony here).
Much of the hearing is focused on the findings of the UN’s Commission of Inquiry, recommendations for next steps from the UN, as well as options for potential unilateral US response. Also of note, Grace Jo shines a light on the continuing needs of the North Korean refugee community in the United States.
For more on the Commission of Inquiry, see:
- Slave to the Blog: KIC, COI, and How to Spot a Fascist - 19 March 2014
- De-recognition - 10 March 2014
- Commission of Inquiry Roundup: the UN Role (Part II) – 6 March 2014
- Commission of Inquiry Roundup: the UN Role (Part I) – 3 March 2014
- Reactions to the Commission of Inquiry Report: What Next? – 24 February 2014
- Cohen, Lee and Hong on Human Rights in North Korea – 29 January 2014
- Marcus Noland’s UN Testimony on North Korea and the Right to Food – 18 January 2014
- Commission of Inquiry Washington Hearings – 15 December 2013